Another day, another continent, that’s the fast lane life of Hublot CEO Jean-Claude Biver. Recently he was in New York to launch the Hublot Big Bang Black Magic, then came the announcement of Dwayne Wade as a Sports Ambassador, and most recently this, an appointment in New Delhi for the launch of the Hublot F1 King Power India to celebrate India’s arrival as a Formula 1 venue.
Jean-Claude was on hand happily posing for photographs with Sameer Gaur, CEO of Jaypee Sports Intl. Ltd. He’s the owner/manager of the Formula One India track as well as the event. The launch of the new watch was announced at the Oberoi Hotel Gurgaon in Delhi. Hublot announced that this is “the first time a luxury Swiss watch manufacturer has launched a watch dedicated to an international sport coming to India.”
It certainly is, a leading Swiss watch firm wishing to involve itself with any sporting event out of India would have been unimaginable as little as a decade ago, but now major Swiss watch firms are queuing up to launch boutiques because the thirst for luxury goods in India is unquenchable.
At 48mm, the F1 King Power India features the famous F1 logo and the colours of the Indian flag on its dial and bracelet, there’s also an orange coloured lume. The Grand Prix will be held in India on 30th October 2011 and is the fourth edition of the watch to be produced following Hublot’s announcement in March that it had become the Official Watchmaker of Formula 1. Already on the starting grid there is the Hublot China F1, the Hublot Monza F1 Red Sapphire, and the Hublot Korea F1 King Power Red Gold.
Like other F1 King Powers in the series, the F1 King Power India edition runs on a Hublot calibre 4100 movement and incorporates high-tech materials directly inspired by Formula 1 with some notable firsts in watchmaking such as a ceramic bezel with a circular-grained satin finish adorned with multiple holes to represent a high performance brake disk. The black strap, edged with orange white and green stitching, is made from rubber and Nomex, a synthetic fibre developed by Dupont De Nemours and used to make the suits worn by F1 drivers. The watch also features Start, Reset and Split push buttons, the latter for the split second function and a 30-minute counter at 3-o-clock.
The FI King Power India will be in a limited edition of just 200 individually numbered watches. However the benefits of having a Formula 1 circuit in New Delhi will stretch much further; it is expected to boost the local economy by over US$170 million.
Hublot F1 King Power India Technical Specifications
- Reference 703.OM.1138.NR.FMO10
- Series 200 pieces numbered from 01/200 to 200/200
- Case King Power, diameter 48 mm, in “King Gold”
- Bezel Satin-finished “King Gold” and black ceramic, resembling a brake disc, with 6 black PVD titanium H-shaped relief screws
- Crystal Sapphire Ø 35.50×3.00 mm, colourless single-layer ART, face with gold powder transfer minute track
- Bezel Lugs Black composite resin
- Lateral Inserts Black composite resin
- Case-back Open in King Gold with circular satin finish
- Crown Satin-finished “King Gold” Ø 8.40, with black rubber insert
- Screws Black PVD titanium
- Water resistance Approximately 100 m or 10 ATM
- Push-pieces Start with orange rubber inserts and black text at 2 o’clock, and Reset in black rubber with orange text at 4 o’clock
- Dial Matt black, 5N coloured indexes, orange coloured SuperLuminova™. 5N powder F1. logo at 12 o’clock, orange coloured transfer
- Hands Satin-finished gilt hour and minute hands with micro-blasted back. Orange coloured Superluminova™
- Movement Hublot calibre HUB4100 . Mechanical chronograph with automatic winding
- No. of components 234
- Jewels 27
- Bridges Rhodium-plated with snailing
- Screws Black PVD
- Oscillating Weight King Power Hublot, micro-blasted black openworked plate, polished black decorative screws, micro-blasted black heavy metal segment. Micro-blasted engraving against black background on bevel, and grey King Power
- Main plate Rhodium-plated with snailing
- Barrel With reinforced spring
- Escapement Glucydur hairspring
- Power Reserve Approximately 42 hours
- Wristlet Adjustable black Nomex strap with orange, white and green stitching. Stitched on black rubber
- Clasp King Power “King Gold” deployant buckle, “King Gold” cap, Decorative plate in black micro-blasted ceramic, black ink engraving, black PVD titanium deployant and buttons, polished black PVD titanium screws