This is by no means the most expensive watch available on Ebay, but it is certainly one of the more unusual.
The Corum Baron Samedi watch is a Limited Edition Collectors series Bubble timepiece that pays tribute to one of the most significant figures in Voodoo mythology – the infamous Baron Samedi.
Baron Samedi is one of the most recognised loa (ancestral spirits) outside of vodun (voodoo), he stands at the crossroads where the souls of the dead pass on their way to Guinee (the underworld). As well as being the all-knowing spirit of death, he is a sexual divinity; frequently represented by phallic symbols and noted for disruption, obscenity, debauchery and the chasing of ladies both spiritual and mortal.
He is also the Loa for resurrection and in the latter capacity he is often called upon for healing by those near or approaching death, as it is only the Baron who can accept an individual into the realm of the dead. In that sense he is also a giver of life if he so chooses. He can cure any mortal of any disease or wound, if he thinks it is worthwhile. His powers are especially great when it comes to voodoo curses and black magic.
Most unusually for any Swiss manufacture who usually stick to conservative European classical or contemporary themes for their inspiration, Corum should be congratulated for choosing to commemorate the occult with this mysterious, shadowy ancestral spirit of the dead.
Corum created a spectacular dial with a carved rendering of the Baron, wearing his characteristic top hat, surrounded by flames rendered in seductively shiny lacquer; a striking second hand, in the form of a voodoo pin, sweeps the dial, adding to the tantalizingly spooky allure.
The watch has a uniquely domed sapphire crystal, which is over 10mm thick in the centre. These crystals are not only exceptionally strong and resistant to scratching and damage, they also produce a range of visual effects, including magnification and parallax distortion, particularly fascinating when applied to a dial like that of the Baron Samedi.
In 2006 when the Corum Baron Samedi was introduced, it immediately struck the right combination of daring and visual appeal and thus sold out almost instantly.
Limited edition of 777 worldwide
Only 777 units were made and sold worldwide, ensuring that you will not likely see another in your travels.
The watch available on Ebay is the rarest of the rare being in 18k rose gold with large diamonds set on the bezel. The asking price is US$16,250, the asking price on the box is over US$27,000
- Swiss Made
- Collection: Bubble Baron Samedi
- Style: Collector
- Limited Edition: No 18 of 27 (Engraved on case back)
- Case: Heavy 44mm Solid 18K Rose Gold
- Case Back: 18k & Sapphire Crystal Revealing the Decoration and Oscillating Engraved ‘Voodoo’ Rotor and Collection Name
- Dial: Flames lacquered dial with the head and the hat of the Voodoo relief carved and painted. Flame hour markers
- Water Resistance: 200 m (660 feet)
- Bezel: Original Factory Diamond Bezel (48 Full-Cut Rare White Diamonds, VVS1-VVS2 Clarity, F-G Color) (2.26 CARATS)
- Crystal Type: Domed Double-Anti-Reflective Coating Scratch Resistant Sapphire Crystal
- Movement: Swiss Self-Winding Automatic (Sweeping Second Hand with shape of Voodoo Needle)
- Power Reserve: Approximately 42 hours
- Band Material: Black Genuine Leather Calf Skin with orange stitching and 18K Rose Gold Buckle
- Buckle: Solid 18K Double Fold Push Button Deployment (factory blue plastic still on inside of buckle)